Saturday 15 September 2012

BEST EVER, ALMOST DAIRY-FREE GUACAMOLE!



BEST EVER, ALMOST DAIRY-FREE GUACAMOLE
Today I had a hanker ‘in for guacamole. I had ¾ of an avocado left but no sour cream, which is what I had always made my guacamole with. Lately however, dairy and I have not been getting along lately and I’ve been avoiding eating ice-cream, sour cream, yogurt, and very little cheese.

I did however, have some soft tofu in the fridge along with my partial avocado so I whipped them up in the processor with some onion, garlic, salsa, red pepper and bit of lime juice and some mixed cheese (cheddar, mozzarella).  Just omit the cheese for a true dairy-free/vegan version.  I can eat a small amount of cheese so I didn’t add much. You can add some other favs like peppers, chili or other spices to your liking. Be careful not to over process the ingredients as it’ll just be soupy.
I used the soft tofu as that’s all I had in my fridge but next time I’ll use a firm tofu to make the guacamole thicker.Excuse the pics as the lighting made the guacamole look a bit pale.
Fyi: the avocado I used was a couple of days old as I made a Panini with some of it the other day. Last week someone told me that to keep an avocado longer once it’s been cut open, just leave the pit in one half and sprinkle a bit of lemon or lime juice in  a zip bag along with the cut avocado. It worked! The few slices that were not part of the pit half were a tiny bit brown but still very much edible. And guess what?
This guacamole ROCKS!!! It’s the best I’ve ever tasted!  


No comments:

Post a Comment