Saturday 26 November 2011

Muppet Hair :-S

If you have curly, wavy or kinky hair you know exactly what I mean by the term, "muppet hair".  You watch as all your friends get the latest cuts,styles and you look like a mop.  You TRY as a teenager (especially as a teen) and then as an adult to have the latest do but no amount of stylist promises, hair straighteners, or magic products work. You leave the salon with a new purpose in life and then try the next day to follow the step by step instructions that your hairdresser told you and ...........sproing!  Your hair is back to it's wild, out of control look. Until........
a friend of mine who has beautiful, bountiful curls told me about her hairdresser who was trained specifically to cut curly hair. I  had noticed that my friends hair was looking pretty awesome for the last few months so I though it couldn't hurt to try this new stylist out.
WOW! What a difference!  First of all, Lyndsay at Vibe Salon and Spa, Bedford, Nova Scotia, had a good look at my locks, then started snipping on dry hair. She  explained that wet hair is heavy hair and as a curly-girl, your wet hair turns into dry hair that's not straight so the cut is done dry. I have to admit, I was a bit nervous about this snip here and there approach but when Lydsay was finish I had the most fabulous hair cut I have EVER had!!!!  She recommended Moroccan Oil products and a leave in spray moisturizer by Deva Concepts of NYC.  Now these are a bit expensive so I started the hunt for the same products but ones that weren't so hard on the wallet. My shampoo and conditioner have to be sulfate free. Sulfate is a huge no-no for curly, ethnic hair as it strips the natural oils from our already dry hair giving us that tumbleweed look :-s
I found a store called Sally Beauty that carries salon supplies but is also open to the public. I bought a $5.00 membership card and have saved a bundle since. I use Argan oil,Argan Oil curl cream, Silk Elements shampoo and conditioner. My hair has thanked me many times since :-)
www.curlygirldesign.com  & devachansalon.com have some great tips and tricks for curly hair that are life savers.  
The most important things to remember are: no sulfate, alcohol in any of your  products, wash your hair only 3-4 times a week (preferably less if you can), dry your hair with an old cotton t-shirt (never use a terry towel as it frizzes hair......like we need help with that!), comb your hair with your fingers or a very wide tooth comb in the shower with lots of conditioner on. Then don't comb again until the next wash and NEVER brush your hair. Hair brushes are frizzie monsters as well. 
Good luck and embrace your curly, kinky,wave of glory as the Good Lord gave you! :-)


1 comment:

  1. OOPS!! I meant : www.naturallycurly.com but enjoy the other site too that I posted! :-D

    ReplyDelete